Re: Engine knock

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Engine knock
From: webb@daikin-america.com
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 07:20:40 -0600
Thanks Dick and others that responded!

I tried checking the washers as you describe before purchase but wasn't
able to budge the crank pully (didn't eat my Wheaties I guess). I don't
know if this is good or bad but I will pull the sump anyway just to be
sure.

I'll check the bearings as Gene suggested (or just replace them) while I'm
in there. It'll probably take 2 - 3 weeks to get to it but I'll let you
know what I find!

Happy New Year!

Pat
76 TR6
74 TR6 (future sale)
91 Alfa Spider Veloce
Very patient wife

Pat---You can spot worn thrust washers without taking the pan off, if
you chose. When these washers wear, the crankshaft is able to go from
front to back. Lever it back and forth at the timing pulley. There
should be very little movement, like .010. If this movement gets up near
.030, it's overdue to replace these washers. Then drop the pan, the rear
upper main bearing and slip out both front and rear half-circle washers.
The standard size is .092. Oversized washers should be stamped on the
back side. Set it up to where the new clearance is from 004 to .006.
It's OK to mix and match the standard and oversized washers.

Can't help with the knock, other than to suggest piston slap. A
compression tester might show something here.

Write back when you find something!

Dick Taylor