Not TR related, but looking for info for GM crate engine

To: "6 Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Not TR related, but looking for info for GM crate engine
From: "Richard Seaton" <rsh17@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 19:29:17 -0600
 I know this isn't the place to look, but I figured someone might be able to
point me in the right direction. I'm looking for any info on warranty related
issues to  New GM Crate engine problems, specifically pre 198?'s

 Two years ago (Sept,2001) I purchased a NEW GM crate engine (3yr/50,000 mile
warranty) for a work truck and in a little over a years (Sept 2002) time and
7,000 miles latter she developed a severe self changing oil problem , 2 qts of
oil in a 170 mile road trip. Two plugs had fouled out terribly and the dealer
replaced the motor under warranty. Come to find out that two cylinder walls
were badly scoured, broken rings I assume. (If the rings weren't fitted to the
cylinders is it safe to assume they might last only 7K miles?).

  Well now for the interesting part. The  new motor now has about 8,000 miles
on it and has gone through 2.5 qts in 600 miles, then 2 qts in the next 400
miles. So I took it to the dealer, who said they needed to get a record of oil
consumption ( I don't have to tell you how much it pained me to pay for an oil
change!!). So I let them change the oil. During the conversation the service
guy asked me when I bought the  "ORIGINAL" engine and mentioned the warranty
only is for the original purchase and doesn't extend the new engine which was
installed in Sept 2002. See my concern???
  I'm now in the process of driving the truck for two weeks and waiting to see
if she will need another two quarts of oil.
  If this motor is replaced under warranty I will only have 9 months remaining
on the warranty. You can imagine my concern considering my track record with
Chevy 350's.
  A little side note: I'm  very anal about maintenance on vehicles and don't
drive this thing like a bat out of hell. I'm sure the service guys at the
dealer probably think I'm one of those rare drivers who floors the car every
chance he gets.

  To quote the warranty: " This warranty covers the cost of parts and labor
and begins with the date of installation by an authorized GM dealer, or the
date of sale when sold by an authorized GM dealer to an independent repair
center or other purchaser."

 My concern is the "or" in the warranty. The first motor was installed by me
and the second was installed by the dealer.

  Please respond of list. Thanks for any input guys,

Richard Seaton
RSH17@msn.com