Re: Weber conversion...two issues

To: RedTriumphTr6@aol.com
Subject: Re: Weber conversion...two issues
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:21:39 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 RedTriumphTr6@aol.com wrote:

> I screwed up, guys, I meant the sidedraft carbs, not the downdrafts.  Any
> thoughts on ease of tuning for street use, in addition to my earlier two
>issues?
>        Bob  Pierson

Hi,

My standard response to the Weber query:

1. If you are talking Weber DCOE 40's, then the answer is: you can tune
them however you want to. I really mean that. There are millions of
possible combinations of all the tunable parts (air correctors, emulsion
tubes, main jets, idle jets, accelerator pump jets, float height and
more.)

2. DCOE 40's have chokes just like any carb should. They can be made to
work with the stock choke cable, but I highly recommand the late-style
solid wire TR6 choke cable.

3. You do not need a choke except to start the car. Trust me on this.

4. If you go to Webers you absolutely MUST improve the ignition. A good
place to start is the Crane XR700 or possibly the 3000. If you don't have
a really big, fat spark, you will waste hundreds of dollars trying to get
teh right jets in the car. Note: I run triple DCOE 40's in my race car
with the following ignition: Mallory dual point, MSD Blaster 2 coil, 8 mm
MSD heli-core wires. I only need the choke when the temps are in the 30's
or lower.

5. Some folks will tell you that you can "over carburette" your TR6. This
is bull-feathers. The triple DCOE 40 setup is unmatched in tunability.
Period.

6. Identify a nearby source for tuning advice. This means find a local
tuner that has a rolling road (chassis dyno) and experience with
tuning Webers. Without this resource, add at least $500 to your Weber
purchase costs because you will be buying a lot of brass from Joe Weber to
get your carbs tuned.

7. EVERY DCOE 40 INSTALL IS DIFFERENT. Getting jet info from the web will
get you "close" to an ideal setting, but you'll have to tweak the results.

8. FACT: when I tuned my TR6 for street driving, I was able to get 26 MPG
on the highway (this was a 4500 mile rount trip visit to VTR in Ft. Worth,
TX). I never dynoed that setup, but it pulled pretty well as I nearly set
FTD at three VTR nationals ('96, 97 and '98). It was a BONE STOCK 74 motor
with the webers added on (and the Crane ignition).

If you need to campare notes on Weber installtions, feel free to drop me a
line.

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |