swapping frames--HELP!

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: swapping frames--HELP!
From: "Campsmith, Michael" <mgc4@cdc.gov>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 08:58:30 -0500
Greetings!

I'm a new member to the listserv and am in need of some major advice.
Please excuse any etiquette gaffs I might make.

I have delayed long enough and am about to embark on the process of
swapping out the drive train, running gear, etc. on a working 1974 TR6
with a bad frame and body onto a frame in better condition.  The donor
car came from Chicago and was driven in the winter; hence a rusted frame
that has been repaired where the rear trailing arms attach.  The
recipient frame and body are in decent shape (at least to my eye) and
the frame has had reinforcing welds at what my mechanic told me were
"necessary" points.  The engine and trans were rebuilt about 5 years ago
and the car is a very strong runner.  Since I drive the car hard
(including the occasional autocross) I need a frame I can trust.  The
car is fitted with electronic ignition, and uprated springs and tires.

I'm looking at this project as essentially a body-off restoration of all
the mechanical systems.  Below is a partial list of what I plan to
replace or add:

1)      new wiring harness
2)      new brake lines, front brake rotors, new pads and
shoes--possibly wheel cylinders
3)      add an oil cooler
4)      add a rear sway bar
5)      change all rubber suspension bushings to prothane
6)      sports exhaust
7)      new wheel bearings
8)      new clutch components, including slave and master cylinders
9)      add a roll bar
10)     new carbs
11)     new u-joints
12)     any other wear parts as needed

Some pertinent questions:
1)      Are there any other parts on this 30 year old car that
absolutely should be replaced--or not replaced?  Victoria British is
having a sale, and new quick ratio steering racks are $250--anyone have
any experience with these parts?
2)      Any suggestions on beefing up the frame before I drop the body
on?
3)      What about an overdrive transmission?  I have wanted another
gear for highway driving ever since I bought the car 17 years ago.  I
can get a rebuilt overdrive for around $1700 inclusive.

To say I'm anxious about this process is the understatement of the year.
I have turned wrenches on this car plenty of times, but have never
undertaken such an extensive (and expensive!) project.  I'm getting some
volunteers from the car club to help me with swapping the engine and
trans. But I'd really appreciate advice from someone out there in
cyberspace on their experiences with a similar project.

Thanks in advance.  I'll keep you up to date on my progress.

Michael Campsmith