Re: swapping frames--HELP!

To: "Campsmith, Michael" <mgc4@cdc.gov>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: swapping frames--HELP!
From: Greg Dito <dito9561@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 12:00:59 -0500
Michael,

First, welcome both as a new lister and a new TR owner.  If you have the
patience and grit of a Brit the rewards are great!

You should get an answer to all of your questions over time but I will answer a
couple in the time I have.  First off, frames typically rust from the inside
out.  By the time it is noticed on the outside it is usually too late. SMall
swelling on the flat frame surface is one indication of something amiss.  Bang
on the frame with a small hammer.  There should be a sharp ping.  A duller thud
potentially indicates rot.  Besides trailing arm areas also check rear section
of frame under trunk and areas around sills.  May want to also try to poke a
small screwdriver into the metal if any swelling is seen.  You would be
surprised at what can happen.

Secondly, yes go for the overdrive.  It is well worth it.

Greg Dito
CD6250L