RE: electric fuel pump

To: "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: electric fuel pump
From: "Rick" <patton@suscom-maine.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 01:59:49 -0500
Hi Mitch,

Last summer I converted my car to electronic fuel injection so an electric
fuel pump was required. High pressure fuel injection pump or low pressure
carb style pump, it should be mounted low, below the fuel level of the tank.
Mine is mounted on the left hand frame rail just ahead of the rear axle.
Ahead of the pump, protecting it, is a coarse inline fuel filter from a
diesel engine. The tank's short output tube with a uniquely British
compression fitting was eliminated. The tank's fitting was drilled out and
threaded with a 1/4" pipe tap. A short brass extension (NAPA WH3200X4) and a
brass shut of valve (NAPA WH6828) were threaded in. Into the valve is
threaded a 1/4" pipe by 3/8" hose barb. Now the fuel can be shut off to
change filters and even used as a serious theft deterrent although you do
need to get under the car to close the valve.

Fuel lines were replaced with steel brake lines. I've tried many benders
over the years and have settled on a set that looks like a large set of
pliers where the tube is bent around a small cylindrical die. There are dies
for all the common size tubing and the tool works great especially on all
the smaller sizes. Bending 3/8" is still time consuming and rather tricky.
It's very easy to get professional looking results with the smaller tubing
sizes. I think this bender is by KD and around $30.

You can use rubber gas line to bypass the old mechanical pump. Cutting off
the ends of the old tubing is probably best. Clamps will easily hold for a
carbureted system where pressures never get over 5 PSI.

There are some pictures of my efi fuel pump set up at:

http://topshamautoparts.com/tr6/ficonv.htm

By the way you have a great supercharged site! You have inspired me to
supercharge my car this summer.

Rick Patton
75 Delft Blue
Brunswick, Maine