Headers

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Headers
From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 05:36:48 -0800 (PST)
Mike C asked about the efficiency of headers VS the stock set up on his 71 TR6
which revisits numerous posts of the past and like most things lately still
left me confused.  I understand from past posts that the later head improved
both the intake and exhaust performance from the early head.  Since I  have a
1970 TR6 I bought and installed a head off of a later model to improve the
breathing of my engine.  I had the head milled (10.0/1), ported, polished and
the intake and exhaust matched to the head.  It was also necessary to use the
later model exhaust manifold with a dual pipe which I ran to an intermediate
pipe.  I believe the intermediate pipe (2 into 1) was from a TR4A.  I then ran
the whole thing into my single pipe stock (early) exhaust pipe setup that was
stock on my early 6.  The setup works well and the performance is excellent.  I
have heard Kaz Kasner say that the single exhaust pipe setup compares favorably
with most dual setups.  So to enlighten both Mike C and Mike L
 (Me) my question is: If I were to go to an S2 cam (I have roller rockers) for
my setup would the pain of purchasing and installing headers be worth the gain?
 I changed so many things at once during my last rebuild that I have no
reliable data for comparing the above later exhaust setup with the stock setup.
All help is greatly appreciated.
Mike Lunsford, 1970 TR6