Re: Headers

To: <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Headers
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 00:35:02 -0000
Hugh

In the UK we feel the optimum manifold (header) for the Triumph six is a
6-3-1 set up. These can vary around the world in terms of how they feed and
you want the type that has common pipes on cylinders 1 & 6, 2 & 5, 3 & 4.
This gives optimum scavenging, tho it looks a bit like a bunch of bananas!
I've got one on my 2500 injected saloon which in standard tune puts out
134bhp at the flywheel. It's sold over here by Moss and Chris Witor and
Witor claims at least a 10% power improvement. I haven't actually measured
it on an engine dyno or a rolling road but the extra kick in the back is
IMPRESSIVE and definitely feelable. The noise is bliss but my system is very
non-standard. The main pipe is 2" dia and there's only an expansion box and
tailpipe resonator to quieten things down - a bit, but not much. Economy is
much improved as our gas prices are pitching at around $6.50 US a gallon -
so its an important consideration. If you're fitting a PI spec cam and
having the head shaved to 9.5:1, you ought to consider a different dizzy. A
Lucas 25D should do it - and you ought to be in the ballpark for 150bhp.
Have fun. You might even have a TR that should be able to keep up with an
injected version.

Jonmac

---

---