Shipping body parts?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Shipping body parts?
From: "Mark J. Bradakis" <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 23:32:43 -0700
No, I'm not talking about the stiff in trunk, I'm thinking about things
like TR6 bonnets and fenders and such.  I've been trying to make an effort
to start cleaning up my various storage places and actually trying to sell
some inventory.  Basically I'm sitting on tons of stuff that is probably
worth maybe 1/3, at most, of what I've paid to store it over the years.
Sigh.

So for the last week or two I've been making another effort to peddle various
bits on Ebay [
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=teamfat&rd=1
 ] and was wondering.  So far it has all been fairly
small stuff.  I did have someone inquire about a TR6 bonnet, of which I have
several.  He ended up buying not one of mine, but one off Ebay.  No sweat,
but it did get me to thinking.

So how does one ship such an item?  Just stick a label on it somewhere and
haul it down to UPS?  Wrap it in cardboard, build a crate, ship it via truck
or Greyhound or ??  And what are some example prices for doing so?

Some of you old timers may remember me hauling a Spitfire bonnet to VTR for
the '97 Fort Worth convention, having it perched upon the luggage rack of
my Jeep Cherokee.  Who makes a box big enough for a Spit bonnet, I can't
personally deliver everywhere.

Basically I'm wondering if offering various fenders, doors, etc. on Ebay
would be worth it, or would the hassles of shipping make it not worth
the time.

mjb.

ps: If you have a Triumph TR-250, you may want to check item #2462500328
    which is a NOS driver's side front marker lamp assembly.