Tire poll

To: "Triumphs@autox. Net" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Tire poll
From: "R. Ashford Little II" <ralittle2@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 16:14:27 -0500
Good afternoon everyone, I hope the warm breezes are starting to blow your
way.  OK, here's the question, I am contemplating an upgrade of both tires
and wheels.  IF, I choose now to upgrade my wheels, I began to wonder
exactly what the different levels of tire would do to the ride on a 34 year
old car.  I would be moving from the stock steel (aka out of round) wheels
to 16" Panasports.  With these wheels I would go with either a 215/60/16 or
a 215/65/16.  Both of these sizes are pretty close to the same rolling
radius, but the 65 series tires are not available in a more performance
oriented radial.

I've got a good friend in our local club who has the 65 series tires, and
they fill out the wheel well nicely.  But if I went to 60 series tires, then
I could get a more aggressive patch of rubber.  I'm no racer, but I might
take the car to the track on rare occasions.  However, I don't want a
bone-jarring ride either.  So with that in mind, I'd like to hear from
people with more aggressive rubber on their street cars.  My car does have
the suspension warmed over a bit, and none of these cars ride like a Camry,
but is something like a Dunlop Sport A2 or Yokohama AVS db S2 overkill?  And
what about brands?  Michelins are nice, but pricey.  Dunlops?  Yokohamas?

Bob, your race car doesn't count, but the video from the cockpit was really
cool.

Thanks in advance,

R. Ashford Little II

 <http://www.geocities.com/ralittle2> "70 TR