Re: Tire poll

To: "Gerald M Van Vlack" <jerryvv@alltel.net>,
Subject: Re: Tire poll
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 20:03:16 -0500
Gerald M Van Vlack wrote:

> Ashford, I guess I'm curious why you want 16" vs. 15". On my 4A
> I went with the 6" wide x 15" Panasports and 205/60 R15
> Bridgestone RE71 Potenza's and could not be happier. Of course
> I replaced some old 165 - 15 Michelins on wire wheels so it didn't
> take much to improve things.

I agree, Bridgestone's Potenza series is a very good series of tire.  I have
run Potenza RE950s on multiple cars, in multiple sizes and was very
satisfied in each case.  I tossed a set of Michelin MXV4+ Energy tires
because they were crap and cost $155 to replace... garbage tires, within
7500 miles on a brand new car two of the Michelin's developed sidewall
blisters with no signs of abrasion in that area.

The RE950s have a pretty stiff sidewall and a fairly aggressive tread
pattern, but are still Mud & Snow (all season) rated and I found them to be
very surefooted when driving in rain.  In the case of each vehicle the
Potenzas amplified driver feedback and steering sensitivity, both
characteristics I like in any car I drive.  Here are the combinations I have
had experience with

205/60R15 - 1974 TR6
195/60R14 - 1997 VW Jetta
195/65R15 - 2002 VW Jetta Turbo

My 2003 VW Jetta Turbo, with 17" wheels, will get Potenzas as soon as the
Goodyear's have worn enough.  I'll will go with Potenzas as well as soon as
the tires on my TR6 wear enough, the previous owner put on some Dutch brand
tires in 205/65R15... and they are holding up well.

Kai

--
Kai M. Radicke
Wishbone Classics