RE: leak???

To: "Adam C Beasley" <adam@adambeasley.com>,
Subject: RE: leak???
From: "Rick & Lori" <trinitygadget@alltel.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 20:54:32 -0500
Adam,

Good to hear you are working on the Triumph tonight.  The coating on the
timing chain cover is a factory applied sound deadening material.  Don't
worry about it.  There are only 3 things that leak at the front end:
coolant, steering rack lube, and motor oil.  I bet it is oil from the front
sealing block or one or more sump bolts.  Two of the sump bolts attach to
the aluminum sealing block and are easily stripped (I just replaced my
sealing block for this very reason).  Suggest you degrease the front bottom
of the engine and drive a while.  Then crawl under and see what's there to
diagnose the culprit.  As I am fortunate to have a well Waxoyl'd 32 year old
chassis, I'll defer to the other experts to comment on your rust situation.

Rick O.