Re: Ready to start?

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Subject: Re: Ready to start?
From: Terry Geiger <twgeiger@hiwaay.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 12:05:12 -0600 (CST)
Vance,

You can pre-lube the engine by removing the spark plugs and spinning the
engine to get everything primed. Also, use of engine assembly lube is a good
practice to keep the engine from starting dry.  If you have the spin-on oil
filter conversion, you can also fill up the oil filter with oil and install
the oil filter nearly full, which will reduce the time it takes to prime the
engine with oil.  Either way, you should not have to spin the engine very long
with the starter before you see oil pressure.

Quoting "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>:

>       Getting ready to start the new motor.
> So, I have everything hooked
> up, and I am ready to try starting the motor. I was ready last night,
> but chickened out. I want to get everything oiled up before I actually
> put the spark plugs back in and do the deed. I thought I could use the
> starter to spin the motor with the plugs out to "pre-lube" the motor.
> Does this seem reasonable? The filter is new and has no oil in it, so
> how long should it take before I see any oil pressure on the oil
> gauge?
>
>       Thanks for any tips,
>
>       Vance
> 1974 Mimosa Yellow Triumph TR6