Re; Pilot Bushing

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re; Pilot Bushing
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 22:37:32 -0800 (PST)
Mickey---It will certainly work OK if it does not turn in the flywheel,
but bushings that float will generally last longer than those that have
a shaft working at full speed in them. Measure the bushing, if you still
have it. Report this finding to TRF. They can tell you if it's in
standard. It only takes a couple thousandths difference between the
bushing OD and this opening in the flywheel. Look for dirt or a burr in
the opening. When loose enough to turn,
pack some Moly-grease around it and visit it again in 10 years. I like
them to float...

Dick

Mickey wrote:
Using the logic that they are cheap, and while I've got the engine out
of the car, I decided to replace the flywheel pilot (or spigot) bushing
in my 6. My Bentley manual specifically states that the new bushing
should be a loose fit. I was able to remove my old bushing easily.
However the replacement I received from TRF needed some stronger
"encouragement" from a hammer on insertion and does rotate freely at all
within the housing. This seems wrong to me.
Should I just order another bushing and assume they sent the wrong one
the first time or is the Bentley incorrect about the loose fit?
Micky Long, Atlanta
72 TR 6