Re: bonnet alignment

To: Sally or Dick Taylor <tr6taylor@webtv.net>, Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Subject: Re: bonnet alignment
From: Tommy Thompson <segerguy@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 23:16:27 -0800 (PST)
Joe,

I have Good News and Bad News.

The Good News is that Dick is an Icon in TR6 workings, and you should study his
suggestions and apply them.  If anybody knows the '6' Dick surley does!

Last year I too had a Bonnet that would not align no matter what I did. It was
eating me up to see that dang Bonnet sitting low in the front, high at the
back, low on the left, high on the right...so on and so on.

One trip to the Body/Paint shop and the owner (1957 TR3) said "Tommy, there
isn't a thing that we can do for your Bonnet...you need to order a new one."

Thats the Bad News of this post...I did order a new one and BAM, it fit right
in like a glove! Turns out that my old one was Tweaked and NO adjustmet that I
made would correct the problem.  Where the PO got it from, only they know!  I
hope that is not your problem!  I got mine from Victoria British and it cost
$599.00.  With the Euro vs Dollar they are now $799.00 plus $100 for shipping.
I hope that is not your problem Joe!

Work on getting those foward backet adjustments dialed in, follow Dick Taylor
advise and if all else fails...I have a spare Bonnet for sale CHEAP!  :)

Tommy Thompson
73 TR6 & 74 MGB

Of course there are adjustments on the front brackets that you can make, and
with patientse you can get the adjustments right dead center Joe.
Sally or Dick Taylor <tr6taylor@webtv.net> wrote:
Joe---I made a "sling" to hold the hood in place for doing what would
normally be a tortuous job for me. (I used various lengths of
rubber-tipped bungy cords which connected to the hood on one end, and an
engine chain hoist on an overhead beam. Tipping the hood to about a 60
deg. angle allows one to get an arm into the opening at the fender, to
install the bolts and position the hood. Turns into a one-man job, and
no scratching of the paintwork. It still takes some fiddling to center
things before the final tightening of these bolts.

I learned it better to outline the hood brackets with a felt-tipped pen
before taking the bolts loose. Big help in lining things up for the next
go 'round. (We know there'll be another)

If you don't want to go to this much trouble, laying a padded 2x4 across
the fenders can support the hood to get these bolts started and
adjusted.

Dick

Tommy Thompson (Segerguy@yahoo.com)
http://www.triumphowners.com/registry.cgi?sectionID=111014&vehicleID=10