Re: 74 TR6 Keys

To: trstevens@earthlink.net, cchamness@indy.rr.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 74 TR6 Keys
From: "Todd Bermudez" <red_tr250@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 11:18:28 -0400
Don't suppose you've tried:  http://www.britishcarkeys.com/

Take a pic of your key & send it to that guy...

Worth a shot,

Todd

From: "Theodore R. Stevens" <trstevens@earthlink.net>
To: "B&C Chamness" <cchamness@indy.rr.com>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 08:56:30 -0400

At 11:00 PM 5/11/2004, B&C Chamness wrote:
>I have a 74 TR6 that came with a single original ignition key from the DPO
>... actually it's the only key I have to the car, period.
>[snip

Try going to an old-fashioned hardware store with lots of key blanks, and
matching the key you have. Consider the possibility that the ignition switch
has been replaced, and isn't the same as what "the books" say a 74 TR6
should have.  There's also the long-shot possibility that the 2nd set of
keys is still in one of the turn-signal housings (taped in the lens), where
apparently some were placed for shipping.

>I just want something that works.

An outfit in Australia has rubber-headed keys that are a near-exact
replacement for the Waso rubber-head key (same shape, Silca logo).  It's
their stock number #041. See
<http://www.keys4classics.com/html/JagXJ6_73-75.html>.  For some reason
these aren't listed with the Triumph keys at
<http://www.keys4classics.com/html/Tr_1970s.html>.  According to their "in
stock" page, they had a new run made.  They're only US$5 each (minimum order
of 2), with $4 shipping.  (No financial interest on my part).

There's a fairly common, older Mazda key blank that works if it's cut down
in length.  I think the key that came with my '74 was a Curtis MZ-1 blank.
This has an offset oval head. Some older Fiats used the Waso key - I've come
across blanks the same shape as the metal Waso key, stamped "fits Fiat".

--
Ted Stevens     trstevens@earthlink.net
'74 TR6 Gaithersburg, MD