Carby Running rich! question

To: "Triumph 6 Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Carby Running rich! question
From: "Ken Davis" <ken.davis@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 16:28:42 -0700
Back in town after 3 weeks overseas, and decided to take the LBC for a
joyride.  Funny thing happened. Now, this car has sat, for over 3 weeks,
untouched, undriven on a inclined driveway.

Today  when I tried to start it, it was obviously having problems, would
almost fire, but not quite, pulling the choke full out / 1/2 out, 1/4 out
didn't seem to make a difference.  When it finally fired, it ran very
poorly, very very rich.  I could see the carbon / fumes pouring out of the
tailpipe.  it ran only with foot on throttle, holding at least to 2000 rpm.
Foot off - no idle, just a fume belching stall.

Now, in April it was running rich, but running quite well none-the-less.
Over time I leaned it out so the plugs were tan, and since that time I've
put 600 -800 miles on it, with no adjustments.

I pulled the plugs today, and both 2 & 5 were excessively sooty.

So, since I haven't touched anything lately, and it's suddenly running very
rich, what else should I be looking at for a cause?  The compensators (the
long plastic one, the smaller roundish one?  Could these seize-up, dry out,
or anything like that.

All advice needed; I've got 2 days to fix it before I finally return to
work.

Thanks

Ken
CF7000U0