FYI: Rotoflex replacement

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: FYI: Rotoflex replacement
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 16:31:25 -0700
        Folks:

        Replaced the rotoflex coupling in my steering this weekend
(That's the rubber biscuit about 6 inches from the firewall in the
engine compartment). The old one was, well, old. It had split about 50%
of the way through, and had severe checking. While I was in there, I
noticed the clamp on the steering shaft next to the firewall. It has 2
bolt heads on one side, and a large set screw and jam nut on the other.
        To cut to the chase, just for grins I checked the tightness of
all the bits, and noticed the set screw was quite loose after I had
backed off the jam nut. I tightened down the set screw, and re-tightened
the jam nut.
        Wow! What a difference in the way the car feels when I am
driving it! The slop has gone out of the steering, and road feel is
tremendously improved.
        If you aren't satisfied with the feel of your 6, try a new
rotoflex and tightening the steering shaft clamp. Pretty amazing.

        Vance

Check out the new British Cars Forum: