solid steering rack mounts

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: solid steering rack mounts
From: "Campsmith, Michael" <MGC4@cdc.gov>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 08:37:26 -0400
Group--

This weekend I installed my newly-painted steering rack using solid
aluminum mounts.  But the mounts are about 1/8 inch thicker than the
stock rubber mounts and now the bottom of the rack brackets don't touch
the frame.

Does anyone have solid mounts and the same experience?  Or do I need to
reduce the mount thickness so the rack will be in contact with the
frame?

P.S.  Thanks for the tip on the zerk fitting and lube procedures.  I
have owned the car since 1987 and never greased the rack in all that
time.  Amazingly there was still some old grease in there, and not too
much crud from the split boots.  And I was even able to install the new
boots without an excess of bad words.

Michael Campsmith
1974 TR6 (now in slightly less than a million pieces)

Check out the new British Cars Forum: