performance upgrade

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: performance upgrade
From: Jim Jones <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 08:51:12 -0700 (PDT)
Listers:

I have enough money to either grind my head to boost compression to 9.5:1 and
have the valves reground as needed, or to purchase an alloy flywheel. Not both.

My instinct is to go with the flywheel, because it seems to me that it's wiser
to put off doing internal engine modifications until you've done every external
change that makes it easier for the engine to do its work. I would think that
lightening the drivetrain can only improve performance and efficiency, not
unlike adding an electric fan. Perhaps as much as a compression increase? It
would also avoid the possible drivability issues and unforeseen complications
that can accompany modifying a motor.

Is my reasoning flawed here? All opinions, comments, insults, and derogatory
remarks are welcome.  Bottles of Thunderbird '04 are okay, too! ;-(I)

Jim Jones

Check out the new British Cars Forum: