Re: performance upgrade

To: "Jim Jones" <jimjcmo@yahoo.com>, "6pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: performance upgrade
From: "Greg Dito" <dito9561@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 02:36:34 -0400
Jim,

If you can swing it, consider having the machine shop cut some material out
of the flywheel, relatively inexpensive compared to a new alloy wheel, and
use the rest of the funds for the head work.  It cost me $60 to cut the
flywheel, lightening it about 4-1/2 pounds.  Not as light as aluminum, but
again, a whole lot cheaper!

If you have not yet had the opportunity you might want to read Kas
Kastners's Competition Manual for TR six cylinder engines and David Vizard's
writings on same. http://www.141.com/triumphs/vizard.pdf

Not to say you'll ever do all of this but it provides a good idea as to what
really matters and how all of the different engine modifications fit
together to maximize performance.  Page 92 of Vizard's writing provides a
flywheel cross section showing where material can be removed.  He also
spends considerable time discussing head work.

Greg Dito
CD6250L