Re: performance upgrade

To: dito9561@bellsouth.net
Subject: Re: performance upgrade
From: "steve bridge" <slbridge@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 13:31:02 +0000
Good morning all,
    I built my 1972 TR6 engine to the old Competition Manual specs, picking
modifications here and there, Ported the head, dual springs, 125HP cam, etc.
  My plan was to install it in a Spitfire and for some reason (too many
crankshafts to keep straight) I decided the flywheel was too thick and had
3/8 of an inch cut from the disc side.  It cost me $25 in a machine shop
that works mostly with tractors.   Steel is 10 pounds per Sq. Foot of 1/4
inch material, so though I never did the math, I assume I lost a fair amount
of  weight.  In the end, the flywheel had not been too thick, I had a wrong
combination of GT6 and TR6 cranks and flywheels.
  The point is, I took the material from the front of the flywheel and had
the whole bottom end assembly balanced. That Spitfire perfoemed very well!
SDSteve

Check out the new British Cars Forum: