Re: Gunst Bearing kit--HPGN1

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Gunst Bearing kit--HPGN1
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:56:32 -0400
Kai,

Something to consider in your search for a new bearing.

I still have the original t/o bearing on my transmission. I noticed that
it spins very freely as compared to the Gunst bearing. You can "flick"
it with your hand, and it will spin. The Gunst is nothing like that.

I used to think that the original t/o bearing was worn out, but maybe it
isn't. I never had any trouble with it and the car only has 60K miles.
Maybe it was designed to spin freely so the small preload supplied by
the slave cylinder was sufficient keep it in contact with the clutch
fingers and turning.

It seems reasonable that a bearing as stiff as the Gunst is would
require a much stronger preload than the original.

Don Malling

Check out the new British Cars Forum: