RE: Roll Bar

To: "John Korsak" <jkorsak@cableone.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: Roll Bar
From: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:33:58 -0600
The Moss online catalog shows a TR3 so it is not accurate to the bar they sell
for the TR6. The last new bar I saw from Moss for the TR6 was the Autopower
designed bar. Both the main hoop and reinforcement bars have flat mounting
surfaces and not the L-shaped main hoop mounting surface. My bar is the sort
with the all flat mounting surfaces. It does not interfere with the shoulder
belt mechanisms at all on my '72 TR6. I don't believe the mounting positions
are different for the retractors but I could be wrong. The all flat design
allows you to position the bar where it fits best. Just make sure you do the
positioning with the top up before you make your mounting holes. The bar with
the L-shaped mount surface limits the mounting position of the bar.

I believe the bar with the L-shaped mounting surface was actually designed for
the TR4 and its main hoop is wider than the one designed for the TR6. It is
the wider main hoop that interferes with the shoulder belt retractors. Of
course the newer design will fit the older cars as well as those with shoulder
belt retractors.

Shawn Loseke
1972 TR6
Fort Collins, CO

>===== Original Message From "John Korsak" <jkorsak@cableone.net> =====
>I purchased my roll bar at a VTR convention a couple of years ago.  I
>installed it in my 74 with only one modification to the seat belt mechanism.
>I had to move the seat belt retractor about 2" toward the rear of the car.
>I used a new piece of 1/4" steel (3"x3") as reinforcement in the wheel well.
>My roll bar has a L shaped flange on the main bar that mounts on the front
>edge of the parcel shelf (rear seat) and the reinforcement  bars  mount with
>a flat flange near the rear of the parcel shelf.  The top works fine and the
>roll bar looks good.  The seat belts work OK, but not as smooth as they did
>when the retractor was vertical with the pivot point guide.
>
>The picture in the Moss catalog on line is obviously a mistake, as it shows
>the roll bar being mounted on top of the wheel well and not on the parcel
>shelf.  It also is not a TR 6.
>
>John K

Check out the new British Cars Forum: