Engine... distributor

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine... distributor
From: "Adam C Beasley" <adam@adambeasley.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 10:05:37 -0400
All,

I found my problem. actually two.  One of my sparkplugs decided to not work
much anymore, thus I was running on 5 cylinders part of the time.
Apparently it worked sometimes but not others.  So, I replaced the plug and
gave her a test drive. not much power and still missing but not as bad.  I
checked the timing and found it was way advanced from where it was
originally set (I had timing it statically and dynamically verified).  I
adjusted the timing again dynamically to 4 ATDC and she ran smooth with good
power. SWEET!  However while I was driving I noticed when I stopped at a
stop sign that my idle had increased to 1,000 RPM from around 850. when I
got back to my garage I checked the timing and it had again advanced itself
some (but not as far).  I reset the timing and reved the engine a few times,
checked the timing. again it was advanced from 4 ATDC.  Is this normal?  I
verified my vacuum line is working as when I pull the line the RPM jumps.

Also, where is a good place to get distributor parts?  I'm looking for a
clamping plate for a 73 distributor in particular (the one on my car is
pretty messed up from the DPO).  Also, is there a cheaper place to find new
distributors (or refurbished/rebuilt) than TRF?  (mostly looking for
cheaper!!!)  My $5,000 car is rapidly approaching $10,000!!! :-)

Thanks!

Adam

73 TR6

  _____