Gallery plugs

To: 6pack@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Gallery plugs
From: DaCRANEz@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 22:48:03 EST
Last winter when I rebuilt my engine I removed all soft plugs ( aka expansion
plugs) and oil gallery plugs before taking the block to the machine shop. I
removed the soft plugs by drilling a hole in them and then using a slide
hammer. You must drill near the edge of the plug for this to work-if you drill
in
the center of the plug it will flex and not release from the block. As to the
oil gallery plugs follow the trail of plugs from the front of the block along
the left side just below what you could visualize as where the camshaft goes
through the engine. I am working from memory (dangerous) but I think there are
five on the side and one on the back. Others with either better memory or more
experience may correct or corroborate. I think it's best to remove everything
you can so as to ensure all crud is eliminated.  Clean is good.
Good luck on your rebuild
Mike C '71 TR6