RE: oil gallery plugs

To: <Lizirbydavis@cs.com>, <6pack@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: oil gallery plugs
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 10:41:25 -0800
        Joe:

        The machine shop will do anything you want them to, it just
costs money. The oil gallery plugs can be very stubborn and
you may not want to hassle with them.
        The best way to take them out is to heat them with acetylene,
and quench them with oil. They will pop right out with a hex wrench.
If you don't have access to acetylene, then take out the ones you can,
and drill out the rest. Use a drill 1/16" smaller than the plugs, and
don't let the drill wander and chew up the threads in the block.
        Usually when you drill out the center of the plug they
will wind right out with an ez out.
        Obviously any that you heat or drill out cannot
be reused. DO NOT do what I did, which is to replace them
with UNF set screws. THEY WILL NOT SEAL. You will need pipe
thread plugs to replace any non-reusable plugs. The UNF screws
look identical, fit just fine, and tighten nicely. They also
seal about as well as cheesecloth.
        My local hardware store did not have pipe thread
plugs except for the one on the back of the engine block,
all the rest were too small and I had to order them from Moss.
        If you have a .22 rifle gun cleaning kit, you can
scour out the galleries before you drop off the block for
hot tanking. I also urge you to use some welding rod or equivalent
to break up the scale in the water jacket surrounding the cylinders.
Hot tanking will not clean that up without some help. It collects
around the base of the cylinders. You can see it through the
freeze plug holes.
        By the way, you are removing the freeze plugs, aren't you?
Use a nail punch to knock a hole in each plug, and thread in
a LARGE self tapping sheet metal screw. Then lever the plug out
with a claw hammer. Works great, and saves a lot of frustration.
If the sheet metal screw pulls out before the plug, you are using
too small a screw.
        The plugs are available at any auto parts store, and much
cheaper than Moss. You can use a STEEL freeze plug for the
cam gallery, don't use brass for that one (if you were thinking
of using brass freeze plugs).

        Cheers,

        Vance

Cogito Ergo Zoom