Re: Removing original style oil filter

To: <rmcbride@twmi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Removing original style oil filter
From: "John & Allison Cyganowski" <janah@att.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 06:57:59 -0500
Hi Robert,

Incredibly frustrating exercise.  I ran right into this issue when I bought
my car this summer. The simplest solution that was suggested was to
carefully un-bolt one end of the clutch slave cylinder and move it aside and
the housing could be removed. If you weren't careful, well then you would
need to bleed your clutch. This all seemed rather draconian to me so I just
turned it (removed & knocked off a bunch of engine wires in the process) and
wiped it out with a rag.  The car bit me and gave my arm quite a heamtoma.

The next fun little episode revolved around getting the square cross section
o-ring out of the channel on the block. After very many bad words and an
hour or two of sulking, I used a bulletin board push pin to pry it out of
place.

Re-assembly went fine, but be sure you torque the retaining bolt correctly.
My car has very high oil pressure when it is cold ~80-90 psi.  So when I
would start the car, oil would be expelled out from around the filter
housing and on to my garage floor or wherever I happend to be. Some folks
have suggested the tool clearance issues can be resolved by making a hole in
the wheel well so that when the wheel is turned, a socket / ratchet /
extension can be used.

Get the spin-on filter adapter.  It is easily removable and you can restore
the car to original if you ever decide you don't have enough pain in your
life.

John Cyg.
Jalopy CC52927LO