Rims Steel & Alloy

To: <jserignese@notes.cc.sunysb.edu>
Subject: Rims Steel & Alloy
From: "John & Allison Cyganowski" <janah@att.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 18:45:15 -0400
Hi Jim,

I am/was in the same boat with my steel rims.  My car had a "shimmy" at 55-60
mph.  My suspension is all brand new so I thought that would not be the root
cause. I dismounted the tires and had my tire guy mount the rims on the
balancer and spin them a little.  I had 2 wheels that were center bent
(wobbles) and one that seems to spin with eccentricity.

Here is what I considered:

a.) Alloys, specifically Konig Rewinds
http://www.konigwheels.com/catalog_product_details.cfm?CategoryID=1&ss_id=430
I understand these are maybe $600 max for a set of 4.

b.) Used (ebay and elsewhere). Some drawbacks to this idea are:1.) shipping is
expensive 2.) No guarentee that they would be any better (finish and
roundness).

c.) New steel wheels - Bob Lang say these were available from TRF a few years
ago at $140 each. II did not call them to check availability.  Moss and Vicky
Brits don't seem to have them.

d.) Wheel repair.  Mark Hooper had his done by Wheel & Rim Works
http://www.rimandwheelworks.com/  They blast the wheels, true them, magniflux
them for cracks, then can either paint them of have them sent for powdercoat
and clearcoat.  This is $700 for a set of 4.

I decided to go option d because like you, I am fond of the stock look.  My
wheels look very good.  I am not through with this exercise yet and will say
more when all is said and done. I suggest you check with TRF and see what they
can do for you.  If new steel wheels aren't available, you can consider alloys
or restoration.

John Cyg.