Re: Pack new wheel bearings?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Pack new wheel bearings?
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 20:25:53 -0400
Randall wrote:

>>We yanked a hub and he agrees the bearings needed to packed.  But he
>>said my hub had too much grease. My calipers and hub exterior are
>>clean,  the workshop manual says partially fill the hub with
>>grease...
>

> I believe the idea was for the excess grease to form a "dam", to help hold
> liquefied grease in the bearing when it gets hot.  However, I also believe
>it's
> not necessary with modern greases, they don't liquefy the way the old ones
>did.
>

>> How much is partially full? Any guideline to follow?  May
>>as well be sure as the hub is off now.
>

> You didn't have "too much" before, since it wasn't being thrown out.  More
>than
> enough, perhaps, but not too much.  If you don't leave at least some air
>space,
> the grease will get squeezed out through the seals.  And it's advisable to
> remove all the old grease when repacking, even from the hub.
>
> Personally, I just pack the bearing full and leave it at that.  A thin film
> inside the hub and on the spindle, to prevent corrosion, is all I use.  But be
> sure to work grease into all the little spaces between the rollers on the
> bearing, and smear a thick layer on the outside, before assembling.
>
> Randall

Thanks for all the posts to the list on this subject. I'm about to repack my
wheel bearings for the
first time and welcomed the information.

I never understood all that extra grease in the hubs. Good to know it's not
necessary.

Some time back there was a discussion about the technique for packing them. How
to scoop the grease
in with your hand/fingers etc. Anyone care to refresh my memory on all that, or
just pack it in any
old way?

Thanks,

Don Malling