Re: Pack new wheel bearings?

To: dmallin@attglobal.net, shrack04@netzero.net
Subject: Re: Pack new wheel bearings?
From: acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 11:03:25 -0400
Don,

Kent and I are describing the same process but using different terms.
Top and bottom of the bearing isnt refering to a clock face but rather
the front and back of the bearing.  This process is hard to describe
with words but very simple to understand if seen.  Lets assume we are
talking about an outer front wheel bearing.  If you can picture sliding
the wheel bearing onto the spindle and into the race on the hub then
for my description I am saying that you are sliding the front of the
bearing onto the spindle, leaving the rear of the bearing facing you.
Using that orientation of the bearing, if you pull the bearing off and
start to pack it with the grease on your other hand, you will start
pressing the bearing, back first, into your palm, along the edge of the
grease slowly filling the bearing spaces with grease.  Repeat until you
see the grease starts to come out of the front of the bearing(since you
are pressing the back into your palm the front is face up).  Now, using
the clock face as a reference, if you started at 12 then rotate the
bearing in your hand so that 1 or 2 o'clock is now the part of the
bearing that is being pressed into grease.  Continue the process of
rotating and pressing until the grease is packed around the bearing
completely.

Does this make sense?

If it doesnt, let me know and I will take a very short video and send
it to you so that you can see EXACTLY what I mean.

Aaron

Aaron Cropley
71 TR6 (Throttle Body Injection!)
http://www.triumphowners.com/108