Re: Propeller shaft splines frozen

To: rjsmalling@aol.com
Subject: Re: Propeller shaft splines frozen
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 23:13:56 -0400
rjsmalling@aol.com wrote:
> 6-Pack listers,
>
> Seems like my driveshaft splines are frozen.  I took the driveshaft out to
>put on new u joints and figured I would clean and grease the splines.  I can
>unscrew the collar on the back end of the front section of the driveshaft but
>I can't separate the spline. Any thoughts on this. Should I just leave it
>alone?
>
> Regards,
>

> Rich Smalling
> Sterling, Virginia
> 75 TR6 Carmine Red
> CF35479U

Hi Rich,

After you unscrew the collar, the u-joint yoke end should slip right off. There
is a cork grease
seal and a metal washer between the cork seal and the collar but it doesn't
hold the joke and spline
on in any way. The cork seal simply keeps the grease inside the spline, and the
metal washer is just
a kind of "backer" for the cork seal.

There is a grease fitting on the yoke spline. Perhaps it's capped off, but you
can replace the cap
with a grease fitting and get some grease or oil in there. Perhaps just take
the fitting out and get
some oil in there to loosen things up.

It's my understanding that these IRS TRs used the same drive shaft as the older
solid axle models,
so in that case (solid axle) where the differential was moving up and down, you
needed the spline.
It's not so important with the IRS and fixed differential. But Dick is correct.
It's sure helpful to
be able to adjust the drive shaft length if the transmission changes position
on a remove/install.

Don Malling