Re: Harmonic Balancer

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Harmonic Balancer
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 23:17:56 -0700
Jimmy---The pulley may have separated and shifted, as your mechanic
believes. I am only cautioning that the timing cover (with its pointer)
must be in place to know that the damper pulley has separated and giving
a false reading)  At first blush, when installing this pulley with the
#1 piston at TDC, the "0" mark will not be directly above the crankshaft
key (or the pulley keyway). Rather, it will be closer to 7 deg. ATDC!
This could give one the impression that the pulley materials have
shifted.   Your mechanic may had already taken this into consideration.

I believe this built-in offset could be to make viewing  the lower
timing marks easier, when using a strobe light from the side of the car.

Dick

Jim Richards wrote:
I took an engine from my junk 76 TR6 to the machine shop to see if it
was an acceptable core. After the inspection it was deemed to be a good
one.   Six months later, most of the work has been done.

While dialing-in the cam timing, the machinist determined that the scale
on the harmonic balancer had shifted on the pully ( 8-10 degrees). A
mark on the flywheel that lines up with the back engine plate was right
on.
I'm not sure that I've heard of this "shift" before. Has anyone else
experienced this? I would assume that the remedies would be to replace
or restore the balancer.
Where might someone have a balancer restored? Is this something that
might be swapped with another used one? Are used ones generally
reliable?
Thanks in advance,

Jimmy Richards