FW: TR6 on ebay, what is that vertical cylinder ?

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: TR6 on ebay, what is that vertical cylinder ?
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 08:03:54 -0700
        Stan:

        Difficult to be sure, but it looks like a remote oil filter kit.
I would say that the owner at some point got tired of wrestling with the
OEM canister oil filter, and installed a kit that allows use of a
remotely mounted spin on oil filter. There were several British cars of
that era that had issues with filter changes, and I have been told that
kits were offered for a variety of cars.
        I was told that one particular model was so bad, owners would
cut a hole in the passenger footwell, and fabricate a sheet metal cover
for the hole, held in place with rivnuts or sheet metal screws. Oil
filter changes were then done through the footwell. The alternative was
to unbolt the motor mounts and jack up the motor 4-5 inches to effect a
filter change.
        Can't say much for the owner's choice of location; seems like
popping off the filter would result in a big drippy mess, given that the
business end of the filter is pointing down. I see what looks like a
quick release however; so it may be that you release the filter *with*
it's base, invert it, and THEN unscrew it from the base. Presumably the
hoses from the block to the filter are long enough to permit this sort
of operation.

        Cheers,

        Vance