RE: Frame coating

To: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Frame coating
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 10:32:17 -0700
        Stan:

        I used POR 15 as well. Impressive stuff. It is also true that
the tiniest air leak in a resealed can will result in your
very expensive POR 15 turning into an unusable lump in very short
order, so keeping the unused material in a TIGHTLY closed container
is imperative. You can buy empty 1 quart paint cans for a few
pennies at any good hardware store, so you can keep the remaining
material in an unmolested paint can. After you unseal that
flippin' POR can the first time, resealing it is difficult if not
impossible. I thought I was going to need a chain saw to get mine
open the first time. But then, I am all thumbs anyway.
        By the way, 1 quart of POR is the perfect amount for doing
2 coats on a TR6 chassis. I even had enough left over to paint
the a-arms on my front suspension.
        Oven cleaner works pretty well for degreasing. Converts the
grease to soap (But don't let it get on aluminum!!!). 'Course
when you hose it off the chassis, everything downstream from your
house dies. My neighbor's cat had a couple of two headed kittens
the week after I cleaned my chassis. Dunno if it was a coincidence
or not.

        Vance