RE: TR6 rear speaker size

To: "John VanNorman" <jvannorman@wowway.com>, "6pack"
Subject: RE: TR6 rear speaker size
From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:52:38 -0400
I went through this last year and settled on a Pioneer DEH-P560MP
($200.00) which uses the standard DIN mounting (requires modification to
the radio hole in the dash support) but it does support MP3 CD's and has
a detachable face plate which was one of my key requirements.

I used a pair of Audiobahn AN5000 5 inch speakers ($100.00) in the
kidney panels (slightly enlarged hole with a 1/4 inch spacer to give
extra clearance).

I have Miata seats with speakers in the headrest. The original speakers
are cheap cardboard tweeters that need the special feed from the Miata
head unit to work properly so I jettisoned those and fitted a pair of
3.5 inch Pioneer TSA878's in each headrest ($50.00 a pair). These have a
much wider range and handle the Pioneer output without distorting. The
head unit is set to fade front to back between the kidneys and the
headrests and I found a setting that works pretty well for all speeds.

I like this set up a lot and it is good up to 70 mph with the top down.
The MP3 CD player means I can put maybe three CD's worth of music on one
disk so I have my "touring" CD with a lot of 60's and 70's music on it..
This year I added Sirius satellite radio when I did another project to
add a center console with power outlets and arm rest. The satellite
receiver is a plug and play unit that I swap between the TR and my daily
driver. The base for it in the TR is in the center console so the whole
thing is invisible other than for the small magnetic antenna on the rear
deck.

My only complaint is a lack of base. It is not a huge problem but the
sound could be better. Since I have the front/back configured with the
headrests etc I was thinking of adding a small sub since the Pioneer
head unit has a dedicated output for that. I think I will try that,
perhaps with a small dedicated amp for it before I look at rear
speakers.

Stan

<snip>
This also raises some questions I have.  Has anyone installed a stereo
on their TR6 recently?  What did you go with?
I'm not such a "purist" that I would demand a reproduction style stereo,
but I don't want anything that looks like it
came straight off the starship Enterprise either.  Plus, I don't want
anything too expensive since TR6s aren't the most
secure vehicles out there.  I've always liked Blaupunkts due to their
simple looks, but I'm wondering what others have
gone with (i.e., name and model numbers).
<snip>