Re: Clutch chatter...

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutch chatter...
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 14:03:44 -0700
Pat----Clutch chatter, or cowl shake, is more prevelant in some cars.
Convertibles and cars with separate bodies and frames falls into this
category.  I'm not absolutely sure as to the reason for this, other than
the flexing that takes place.  The torque available in first and reverse
gear seems to exaggerate this condition.

The shaking can be minimized by securing the body bolts to the frame, at
all of the mounting points.
The clutch chatter can usually be rid of, with a new clutch disc and
pressure plate. The choice of T/O bearing shouldn't come into play here,
unless the bearing is shot.
I have found the B&B clutch to work well with the Gunst bearing. No
"whistling" or other unwanted sounds that we are warned might happen if
choosing the B&B clutch, with the cranked fingers.

While overfilling of the sump should be avoided (for other reasons) I
don't think that this surplus oil was/ is likely to end up on the
clutch, or the working side of the flywheel.

It is important that the clutch disc is able to move easily on the input
shaft, during clutch engagement. This needs to be checked by moving the
disc by hand. No burrs, and a little coating of Molygrease goes a long
way to ensure a slick action. As it does in the surfaces between the
bearing carrier sleeve and the tranny front cover..

Other owners have reported that clutch problems show up more when all of
their parts get hot, thru long drives and such. While I have had my
share of clutch problems in times past, I could never relate any of this
to heat. Others may be able to explain their experiences.

Dick

Pat wrote:
I just got back from a ABFM in Bellevue Washington (5 hour drive) and
along the way developed a terrible "Clutch Chatter" when starting up in
first gear and reverse. This did start happening when I went to an ABFM
in Portland (Days drive) almost a year ago but has been okay when
driving around town, perhaps it's just a "Long distance driving thing" ?
Here are some facts to consider if you can help me please..
I have a TVR 2500M rather than a TR6, but as it is a TR6 running gear I
figure you guys are the best people to ask.. Hope you don't mind <G>
-I used to have the chronic "TR6 Squealing Throw out bearing" with a new
BnB clutch (2 TO bearings in 6 months). Fixed that by a GUNST bearing
(fantastic bearing!) and installed an old Laycock pressure plate and
disk about two years ago as I read that the Laycock was so much better
than the BnB.
-If I start up in second gear there is no problem at all, not "Chatter".
Shifting all other gears up and down are fine.
Questions:
-Why is this happening? What is wrong?
-Will the GUNST bearing work with the Borg n Beck clutch? If so, is this
a good combination?
-If a GUNST bearing is not compatible with a BnB clutch what is? What do
you suggest?
-I did an oil change just before I left and over filled it by about a
litre I guess. is it possible some oil leaked out of the rear main seal
to the pressure plate? (No drips when parked)
Many thanks, Pat
Victoria BC