RE: steering rack mounts

To: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Subject: RE: steering rack mounts
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:00:54 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Foster, Stan wrote:

> Thanks for the info, never heard of jam nuts but that makes sense. I
> tightened them up as hard as I dared with a foot and a half lever and I
> just checked and one of the bolts can *still* be rotated with an allen
> wrench so they are still not tight enough !. These nuts are quite small
> and shallow so gripping them securely enough to apply this amount of
> torque is a challenge.
>
> BTW Richards alu mounts come with their own bolts (4 allen bolts) so the
> original U bolts are not used in this solution.

Ah - right. I forgot about the allen bolts. I recall that it was a real
challenge to hold the bolt heads and then fit/tighten the nuts.

The end result was worth the effort. Then, once I got the front end
aligned, the car actually tracked straight on the HI-way. WOW.

> Stan

rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |  Cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx