Re: Dip & Strip

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dip & Strip
From: TRsick@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 09:40:54 EDT
Hey Steve, Todd & Co:
    Talking from my own experience. About 7 years ago  while redoing my 76
TR6. My wife & I chemically stripped my TR6. It  came out very nice, but the
bonnet. Since the bonnet had the support braces  underneath, & had some slight
pitting we could not get to with the chemical  stripper. I dropped the bonnet
off at my local media blaster. It got RUINED. The  blaster completely warped
the
whole hood. I went at least 6 years thinking  "The media blaster was an
idiot".
    Now flash forward about 7 years to 2006. I now own  a commercial powder
coating biz. I have 3 different media blasting  set  ups, including a walk-in
blast booth. A good friend of mine is now redoing his  TR6. Asks me to media
blast the 4 wings/fenders, trunk lid & bonnet. Knowing  what I know about my
bonnet. I was a little nervous. We did the 4 wings &  trunk lid first. They
came
out AWESOME!. Now the bonnet. I moved my PSI way  down, made great efforts to
not stay in one area too long to not create heat. We  went very soflty &
carefully. Guess what. It still got ruined!
    IMO, NEVER EVER media blast a TR6 Bonnet. It cannot  not take it. The
arched design is just to flimsy. Not even with soda  blasting.
    Good Luck
    Bob "with the Union Jack painted on my hood &  now you know why"
76 TR6
_www.capecodpowdercoating.com_ (http://www.capecodpowdercoating.com)