Re: Dip & Strip

To: TRsick@aol.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Dip & Strip
From: Pimento73@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 09:15:36 EDT
In a message dated 6/14/2006 8:42:36 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
TRsick@aol.com writes:

Now the  bonnet. I moved my PSI way  down, made great efforts to
not stay in  one area too long to not create heat. We  went very soflty &
carefully. Guess what. It still got ruined!
IMO, NEVER  EVER media blast a TR6 Bonnet. It cannot  not take it. The
arched  design is just to flimsy. Not even with soda   blasting.

mine was blasted with plastic media - no warpage, no issues whatever - came
back from the blaster perfect
know of others stripped at the same place with no problem

there are media blasters out there who can and will warp and  ruin ANY panel
or portion of your TR6 body and there are others who can do  the whole thing,
including the bonnet, properly. Check references and choose  carefully.

Chemical dipping, on the other hand, carries certain risks no matter  who
does it.
my opinion, YMMV.

Years ago I heard a professional restorer tell the story about a Triumph
Italia body he sent out to be dipped only because the customer insisted on this

method of stripping - the body came back riddled with pin holes - seems  the
chemicals removed all the impurities from the rather poor quality  Italian
steel.

Cheers
Jack Mc