Shipwrights disease

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Shipwrights disease
From: michael lunsford <mblunsfordsr@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 11:26:59 -0700 (PDT)
I have recently had a number of posts on this forum about my trials and
tribulations in building a "fast street" engine to rreplace the ailing engine
currently in my car.  Therefore I won't go into any more details about the new
cam, valves, etc, etc and the slowness of my machine shop.

  Since I have been more or less stuck on engine progress recently and since I
will be yanking the engine and tranny out anyway I decided to check out the
differential.  During a cold period in the winter (in Florida) my car sat for
several weeks and began leaking grease from the differential which I had
competely rebuilt about 5 years ago.  Since I didn't have anything better to do
(obviously I need to get a life) I dropped the differential and took it to my
friend's place to replace the seals.  He has a 40 ton press which was most
useful, though quite startling, in removing the axles from the thingies they
are pressed into.  I was also looking for the cause of the clunk I had been
hearing from the diff but my friend who has done lots of these said the lash
was perfect as it was.  We replaced all of the seals, discovered and replaced
the two axle bearings which were questionable (hey I don't want to do this
again anytime soon) and put it back together.  We then learned
 that one of the thrust washers had fallen out while I was cleaning it and the
differential wouldn't turn without it.  We found the washer but during the
inspection to locate the missing thrust washer discovered what appeared to be
the cause of the clunk was (at least I hope so anyway) was too much lash
between the pinion and the ring gear. I have an early differential so I'm now
waiting for a thrust washer for the pinion.

  Since I had the rear wheels off of the ground anyway I decided to replace
those really really stiff springs I got from one of the big three as "uprated"
springs (I think they were all out racing springs) when I did my frame off
restoration in 1995.  I have 3 of the 4 springs on now and have one more front
one left to do.  Of course the front ones are about 5 times harder to do than
the rear ones.  Hopefully I'll get the last one in tonight.  Now all I have to
do is finish the engine and, oh yeah, maybe take a look at that drip coming
from the rear of the transmission and then ..................

  I hate to say it but my wife may be right, maybe I do need professional help.
 It helps to talk to people who share my "illness"

  Mike Lunsford, 1970 TR 6

Yahoo! Groups gets better. Check out the new email design. Plus theres much
more to come.