RE: clutch judder

To: "mike" <meberg@peoplepc.com>
Subject: RE: clutch judder
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 07:51:22 -0700
        Mike:

        Some random thoughts:

        Contamination on the flywheel - grease or oil.
        Clutch worn out.
        Pressure plate worn out or springs are weak.
        Flywheel resurfaced excessively, pressure plate bolts bottom out
before pressure plate is fully seated.
        Clutch plate installed backwards.
        Sticky clutch syndrome (binding between front cover and throw
out bearing sleeve).
        Transmission misaligned with motor.
        Worn out/missing mainshaft pilot bushing
        Broken motor mount.
        Bad U-Joint.
        Loose or bad gearbox mount.

        You will need to work though this list and see which ones make
sense and which ones don't. Sadly, many of them involve dropping the
tranny, but the good news is that removing the tranny is not a horrible
job, since you can lift it out through the passenger compartment. One
person can get it out in about 3 hours - but then you probably already
knew that.

        Vance