RE: Cylinder head oil leak Part II

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>,
Subject: RE: Cylinder head oil leak Part II
From: "Shawn J. Loseke" <sloseke@holly.colostate.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 10:29:30 -0600
>===== Original Message From Don Erickson <derick@zeni.net> =====
>On Mon, 17 Jul 2006, Navarrette, Vance wrote:
>
>>      I have been told that using a floor jack rather than a sledge on
>> the 2x4 will also remove the head. Basically you are pushing up against
>> the head while the weight of the car is pulling down on the block.
>
>I tried that at first, but I was lifting the car!  I figured that
>eventually the head would pop loose doing this, but it made me a little
>nervous about the possibility of damaging something when the whole car
>dropped away from the head, given the fact that it was on jack stands (or
>_off_ jack stands at this point.)  So, I decided that an "impact" approach
>would be better and the head tore loose after only a couple of pretty good
>whacks.
>
>Cylinder heads aren't supposed to be this difficult to remove.  Is this a
>TR6 quirk?

You've obviously never had to pull the head on an Italian Aluminum engine.
I've suspended the entire car by the head, left it overnight and it still
never released the head.

The rope trick works very well, especially if you put rope in cylinders one
and two so the head lift evenly.

Shawn J. Loseke
Fort Collins, CO
http://www.triumphowners.com/79   (1972 TR6)