RE: Yet another clutch thread

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>,
Subject: RE: Yet another clutch thread
From: Kendall Larsen <mailkendall@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 09:56:46 -0700 (PDT)
Hey List,

Thanks to everyone who read and replied to my question. Vance I'll try to work
through your check list.

>       1. Is the slave cylinder mounted on the REAR of its mount? If
> you mistakenly mounted the slave cylinder on the front (towards the
> radiator) side of its mounting plate, you will get the symptoms you
> describe.

Is this mounted correctly?
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c36/photologin/IMG_3361.jpg

>       2. Have the slave and master cylinders been rebuilt? I suppose
> you could pull air past the seals in one or the other if they were
> old/cracked/dried out. It might be time to consider a rebuild(s).

The seals are 7-8 years old. Could be time for a rebuild yes. Also when I had
the clutch slave cylinder disconnected the piston came out partially when I
wasn't paying attention and fluid was leaking out. I just pushed it back in.
Maybe the seal got some crud on it or something when this happened.

>       3. Have you checked for worn linkages? Are the slave fork,
> clevis pin, etc all in good shape with no elongated holes or scoring?
> How about the pedal linkage? Clevis pin new? Master cylinder fork in
> good shape?

Slave side linkage is brand new but the master side isn't 'perfect'. Not really
that bad but not 100% either. I should fix that too.

>       4. Could your hose from the master be shot and ballooning when
> you depress the pedal? (not likely if it is like mine. I think it is
> nylon and not rubber, so it is pretty tough).

Unless its leaking somewhere probably not it. Mine is hard red nylon too.

>       5. Have you mounted the slave with the bleed nipple on the top
> side of the slave? I.e. the hose should attach BELOW the bleed nipple.

Check the picture, I think it's ok!

>       If you have verified all of the above, then I would go back to
> try another bleed,  perhaps with the slave tilted up towards the bleed
> nipple so that air gets an extra assist in getting out of the slave.

I'll try another bleed, and maybe give Arron's suggestion of wiring the piston
in and turning the slave cylinder vertical a try too!

Thanks for the input all.

Kendall