brake fluid (2)

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: brake fluid (2)
From: SamuelsMA@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 19:06:45 EDT
Listers:

I posted some questions a few days ago about changing my brake fluid.
Thanks to all for your responses.  The process was very similar to changing
the
fluid on my Porsche, which is required before every track event, so it was
familiar to me.

The project did throw me one curve ball, however, and perhaps someone could
give me some insight.  I was bleeding the right rear wheel cylinder, and  all
of this ugly old fluid (looked like dilute pea soup!) was coming out.   Then,
I started getting air bubbles and the pedal lost resistance, as if the
reservoir had run dry.  But the reservoir was still full of ugly old brake
fluid.
Then I noticed there there was a small front reservoir compartment  that did
not appear to communicate with the larger rear compartment.  I  deduced that
this section is dedicated to the rear brakes, while the larger rear  section is
for the front brakes.  So I filled the rear section with fresh  fluid and had
my son pump until the bubbles were gone and the new fluid came  through.  We
did the same with the left rear wheel, but I checked  frequently to make sure
that the small front reservoir never emptied out  fully.  Then we did the right
front and left front wheels, which took quite  a while to clear out the pea
soup.  By the end, there was clear fluid  (Castrol) coming out of both front
calipers and the brake pedal felt fine.

My question is:  Is the small front reservoir section supposed to
communicate with the larger rear section, but mine is plugged?  Or are the
sections
supposed to be separate?  If they are supposed to be separate,  why?  On my
Porsche and on my son's Jetta, there is just one compartment  for both front
and
rear.

A second question:  I put in new Green Stuff pads today.  I  retracted the
pistons by opening the bleed valve and using Vice Grips.   Worked fine, but the
teeth on the Vice Grips look like they could really damage  the caliper seals.
 They didn't, but there must be a better method.   Ideas?

Thanks as always.

Michael
'76 Tahiti Blue
CF 57044U