Re: brake fluid (2)

To: <SamuelsMA@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: brake fluid (2)
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 14:08:36 +0100
Michael Samuels wrote:

> A second question:  I put in new Green Stuff pads today.  I  retracted the
> pistons by opening the bleed valve and using Vice Grips.   Worked fine,
> but the
> teeth on the Vice Grips look like they could really damage  the caliper
> seals.
> They didn't, but there must be a better method.   Ideas?

A 'G' clamp is an effective piston compressor - but use one with a flat top
bar so it fits flat against the piston when inside the caliper. You only
need compress the piston enough to slide in the new pads. Pushing it right
into the caliper is wasted effort and could cause unwanted damage as you
describe.
Attempted profile sketch below.

I        I
  OOOOO