RE: A New (?) TR6?

To: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>, "6-Pack"
Subject: RE: A New (?) TR6?
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 18:03:04 -0800
        Jonmac:

        Interesting that it is a US spec TR6 now living in England with
only 176 miles, or is it really in the US, and merely being advertised
in the UK? I find the ad to be somewhat ambiguous on that point.

        I also noticed that the radiator vent tube is a translucent
nylon or polyethylene. There was a thread a few months back about what
type of tube was correct. My 1974 sales brochure showed the translucent
tube, but a concours judge was saying that black was correct and another
lister was saying that he would go with what the judge told him.
        This car argues that translucent is correct. Everything else
under the hood looks original; green hoses, wire hose clamps, white carb
dashpot covers, York compressor, etc. Heck even the clutch MC cap is
correct. So I am sticking with my claim that a translucent overflow tube
is correct for the later cars.
        It also appears to have the optional cigarette lighter on the
center console. Is that the correct location where they were installed?
I know that there are holes in the casting on both sides, right about
where the lighter(?) is installed, so that would make sense. But I have
never seen a lighter in a car before this. The lighter itself appears to
be missing, but the socket is there.
        Also, what would the other knob on the center console be for?
Its not part of the A/C installation is it? I thought the controls for
this type of A/C were on the drivers side vent under the dash(?).
        Of course, the problem with buying a 30 year old NOS car is that
even though the car has not been driven, rubber is attached by ozone,
brake fluid absorbs water, brake calipers seize, gaskets dry out, etc.
If it really has not been driven, you will probably need to rebuild the
carbs just to get the thing to run, and I would not plan on any spirited
driving on 30 year old Michelin Red Lines. So it isn't really like
buying a new car. Still, it is original and no one has buggered it,
unlike my TR6 when I purchased it. Maybe I am just jealous. Sigh.

        Vance