Re: [6pack] Colicky TR6. Prize for correct diagnosis.

To: vance.navarrette@intel.com, 6pack@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: [6pack] Colicky TR6. Prize for correct diagnosis.
From: Vsnively@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 13:44:44 EDT
In a message dated 7/9/2007 1:14:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
vance.navarrette@intel.com writes:

Listers:

Just thought I would share my recent  frustrations fixing a low
speed miss.

Since I brought  the 6 out of storage, it has been very colicky.
At first I thought perhaps  bad gas, then I thought it was just bitter
about not being driven all  winter. Hey, don't laugh, I am sure you would
all swear your TR6 has its  moods.
The symptom was a low speed miss when pulling away  from a stop.
Sometimes it would miss once, sometimes it would miss twice,  sometimes
no miss. This is not a bog, but a soft pop and the car will  jerk
sharply. Adjusting the choke made no difference, and the problem  would
occur when both warm or cold, although the problem got somewhat worse  as
the car warmed up. The engine would rev just fine with no breakup  or
missing at the upper RPMS. Battery voltage was about 14  volts,
temperature in the middle of the gauge, healthy oil pressure.  Stock
ignition (Lucas coil and points, no Pertronix). No blue smoke, no  white
smoke at idle or any other time.
My TR6 has a 270  degree cam, 9.6:1 CR, stock exhaust, dual
zeniths with B1AR needles. Carbs  have been rebuilt, compression in all 6
cylinders is 145PSI +/- 5 PSI.  K&N air cleaners in a stock filter
housing. Manifold heat is connected.  1974-1/2 car with EGR and all
emissions systems connected. Stock rockers,  valve lash set at 0.015",
idle at 900 RPM - with what sounds like a very  *slight* miss at idle. <-
another clue!!
OK, those are  the symptoms. Here are some additional clues so
that you hairy chested LBC  drivers can test your diagnostic acumen. I
say this because I always love a  challenge, and I might as well torment
you all in the name of camaraderie.  =:-o

Here are some additional clues:

1. Fresh plugs made no difference (Champion 12NY).
2.  Adjusting the mixture rich or lean made no difference.
3.  Fresh gas made no difference.
4. New plug wires made no  difference.
5. Checked the timing, spot on at 4 ATDC dynamic.  No observable
spark scatter when revved.
6. Wider or  narrower plug gaps made no difference (+/- 0.005").
7. Vacuum  retard functioning correctly.
8. Topped off the dashpots with  penrite oil, still no
difference.

OK, listers. Do you  think you know what I missed? Can you offer
a shrewd insight (or a least a  derogatory comment) as to my utter
failure as an LBC mechanic? I know the  answer, as the miss was resolved
just this weekend.

I  am offering a prize for the correct diagnosis. The winner will
receive one  "attaboy", redeemable with $2.00 for a cup of Starbucks
coffee and the  glory of having his or her kung fu publicly acknowledged
as the  best.

Post your guess to the list, Kastner  wannabes!

Vance

Your messages not reaching the  list?

===  Help keep  Team.Net on the air
===      http://www.team.net/donate.html

===   http://www.team.net/cgi-bin/majorcool
===  Other lists available  at
===       http://www.team.net/mailman/listinfo
===  Archives at  http://www.team.net/archive
===   http://www.team.net/the-local
===  Edit your  replies!

Vance,

Symptoms suggest a burnt intake valve(s).

Regards,
Vic Snively
'75 TR6  w/AC