Re: [6pack] EDis

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] EDis
From: James Franks <jimmble@adelphia.net>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 14:09:33 -0400
Right you are Vance, I said it backwards. The lack of mixture makes the
exhausting cylinder  the one with greater electrical resistance, not the
other way 'round. Sorry for the confusing statement.

Here is the explanation right from the Megamanual:

The operation the EDIS system is very simple. The crankshaft is fitted
with a 36-tooth wheel, with one tooth missing. The missing tooth
indicates the exact position of the crankshaft to the EDIS. The EDIS
system is a wasted-spark setup (i.e. two spark plugs fire which are
separated by 360 "cycle-degrees" of a 4-cycle engine), so there is no
synchronization with the camshaft. This means that one cylinder has its
spark plug firing during the valve overlap period near top dead center,
but because the pressures are so low and the charge is diluted by the
exhaust gases, no ignition occurs. This spark is 'wasted' on a cylinder
that isn't firing, and EDIS is referred to as a 'wasted spark' ignition
system.

Jim