RE: [6pack] Re: [TR] tr6 rear brakes

To: "6pack@autox.team.net" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [6pack] Re: [TR] tr6 rear brakes
From: "Foster, Stan" <stan.foster@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 18:03:53 +0000
Perhaps I'm missing something but I've never had a problem fitting brake
shoes..

I just put the shoes flat on the ground in the right orientation and fit the
springs into the correct location. Then I pick the whole assembly up and while
pulling the shoes apart to keep the springs in place I fit the left had shoe
into its top and bottom slots.

Next I lever the bottom of the right hand show over with a screwdriver to get
it into its bottom slot. Now the lower spring and the bottom of the shoes are
done.

Next I take a pair of largish pliers and using some towel as a buffer I grab
the top edge of the right hand shoe with the pliers vertical, essentially I
have the top edge of the shoe in the pliers and have plenty of leverage to
move the right hand shoe so it engages to the top slot. There is probably a
proper tool to do that but I don't have one.  With my other hand I encourage
the top spring over the hub flange using my screwdriver as a lever.

Stan